Monday, October 18, 2010

Saving Time and Money

Something all of us are interested, right??
Well, I don't have anything profound or original, but just little things that I'm thrilled about that save me time and money, though not necessarily at the same time!
Let's start w/ Saving Time:
For those of you know me well, this is going to be shocking!! ha!
I stopped wearing eye makeup on a day to day basis. I still will put it on when going out for a Girls Night Out or Moms Night Out, or on a date of course :-)...which btw reminds me a funny Wyatt story...
We had a babysitter coming one night to watch the boys b/c Adam had an Open House at school and I really wanted to go to a Pampered Chef party my SIL was having. Let me preface this with, "We Rarely Get Babysitters". Wyatt said, "Are you guys going on a date?" (thanks to my parents this past summer, he does know what date is b/c we got to go out alot!!!). Adam said, "No, I have to go to a meeting at work". Wyatt said, "Well, then is Mommy going on a date?". We both chuckled and Adam teased me and said, "I don't know, Mommy are you going on a date?" ha ha!
Anyway, I finally realized one day that all I do is put on my eye makeup to end up taking time to take it off at the end of the day. And I'm always exhausted, and don't think that eye makeup really helps to take that look away! So I'll embrace the exhausted look, and save myself some time in the AM and PM.
And I stopped washing my hair too! well, not completely of course! But I only wash it every 3 days or so. Seriously! Don't worry, I do shower, just not the whole hair process. And believe me, w/ long hair, it is a "process". Got a tip from a college friend to use baby powder around where my hair meets my forehead and my temples (where it would be more greasy looking). And it works wonders folks!!
Maybe when my kids are older I'll have more time to wash my hair daily and wear eye makeup, but for now I would rather read them books, give them hugs and laugh w/ them. (and do all the dishes and laundry that they create :-)
Saving Money:
A few months ago, I was on a Saving-Money-Blog-reading-frenzy. But here lately, I'm on a Homeschool-Blog-Reading-Frenzy. I go back and forth where I get to spend my "free time". I love to watch for sales and pair them w/ coupons, and love to use websites that make it super easy like: Southern Savers, Money Saving Mom, and Hip to Save. But I'll save more of those details for another post. But one thing I must share was a tip from my friend Jill...
It's called: Whole Boneless Beef Sirloin Tip
It's on sale for $1.98 lb at Food Lion this week (and seems to only have this great sale every 3 months)
You probably won't even be able to find it right away (at least I couldn't) b/c you don't realize what it looks like. The best way to describe it, is that it looks like a HUGE whole turkey for Thanksgiving. It's in a vacuum sealed pack. it will be about $18 to $20 for the whole big ole thing! (that is the sale price I mean).
You put one (or 2 or 3) in your cart, and ring the doorbell for the butcher. Our store has butcher hrs of 8am to 8pm. Then you ask him to make it into....
I asked for some ground meat (it's just like ground beef, but technically called ground sirloin), and some steaks. You can also ask for a roast to be cut out of it as well.
Then it takes him about 5 to 10 min, and he will package it all individually, but then wrap all the individual packages in one big wrap w/ the overall price on it.
I had him cut up 3 of those big 'ole hunks of meat and got 10 trays(approx 1.3 lbs each) of ground meat, 11 steaks (1 inch thick and about the size of a dinner plate), and 2 roasts (approx 2.5 lbs each) for $52!! Our freezer is packed!! And I just use the ground sirloin in any recipe that I would use ground beef or turkey.
I don't have any pictures for this post. Guess I could put a clip art picture of a a cow since I feel like I just purchased half a cow w/ all the meat I have in my freezer! keep your eyes open for this great sale at Food Lion!! Sale Ends tomorrow night though.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great tip about the beef! I wonder if there will be any left after your post! =0) I may try that! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome idea! Our Food Lion is about 30 minutes away but would be worth the trip for a great sale on meat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously! This is a great tip. I have totally boycotted FL, but if they ever do this at HT, I am all over it. :) I have to admit, I'm a little afraid of talking to the butcher. I don't know what to say. I never know how to describe the cuts that I want. Hmmm. . .

    ReplyDelete