Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I have a FIVE year old???


My firstborn turned 5 years old on Valentines Day! I made some special pink colored heart-shaped pancakes as well as a #5 pancake for his special day! I'm not sure I like the sound of "having a 5 year old child"...ahh! As if turning 30 years old wasn't hard enough for me back in August, now I really feel...well, not "old", but just more responsible...or rather, the need to act more responsible...like I really am an adult on my own with a FIVE year old child...ahh! At times, I still feel like I'm a recent college grad without too many cares in the world, but then it hits me. That was a long time ago! ha! But enough about me...we celebrated Wyatt's birthday a few different times. On his actual birthday, he opened presents from my Aunt Peggy and also the birthday cards that had come in the mail. We all went out to eat that night--partly a bday celebration for him and partly a Valentine's Day gift for me (to not have to cook or do dishes).

Then a few days later we were visiting my in-laws and Gram picked up some cupcakes, party hats and presents! The picture below is at Adam's parents' house in the Outer Banks, NC.

We had his friend birthday party the next week. He had been to another friend's bday a few months earlier and the theme was "Angry Birds". Both he and Levi love to play that game on my phone. If you haven't heard about the Angry Bird phenomenon, Google it! I found tons of ideas for this theme on Pinterest. And if you haven't heard about Pinterest, Google that too!!
I printed out, and then cut out most of the decorations for his party. I only bought the tablecloth and plates. Thankfully, I had had a long drive to and from Adam's parents' house the weekend before to cut out all the necessary pieces!
I taped the Angry Birds cut outs to the balloons. And the cake toppers are just made out of paper that I folded and hot glued together. I got the prints from here, here, and here.

I also taped the Angry Birds cut outs to these colored paper bags. They not only served as decorations, but when it was pinata time, each child got one to hold their candy and take home as a "goody bag".

I made up this game of "Pin the Beak on the Blue Bird". I printed out an Angry Birds coloring page. Colored it. Photocopied it 7 times. Cut out the beaks. Laminated everything. Put sticky tack on the back of the beaks. The kids got blindfolded and spun and tried to get the beak on the blue bird! They loved it!

This idea also came from Pinterest...we re-created some of the wooden structures that are in the game of Angry Birds. I had drawn "pig" faces on the green cups to represent the pigs in the actual game of Angry Birds. The kids got to use bean bags to try to knock off/down the pigs. Again, a big hit w/ the boys!


More party pics below! Wyatt was allowed to invite 5 friends since he was 5 years old!





Here is my fun-loving FIVE year old boy! You are growing into a great young man! We love you Wyatt!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute theme, I know everyone had a great time! Your five-year-old sure seemed to enjoy himself:)

    ReplyDelete