Wednesday, September 26, 2012
1st Day of School
3 weeks ago, we had our first day of school!! The boys were both very excited! Wyatt is so happy to "finally" be in Kindergarten, and Levi was excited to go to preschool!
I am homeschooling Wyatt using the following curriculum:
Abeka K5Phonics
Abeka K5Handwriting curriculum
Abeka 1st Grade Math
Abeka Community Helpers
Abeka God's World
Positive Action K5 Bible Curriculum
Levi is going to a preschool program 3 hrs/day 3 days a week at a church just 5 miles away from our house. Wyatt went there last year for pre-k and we were very pleased. They use the Abeka K4 Phonics and Handwriting as well. He has the same wonderful teacher that Wyatt had last year.
All summer long Levi kept insisting in a very grumpy voice and attitude that he was "not going to preschool". He would even say, "Mommy don't sign me up for preschool b/c I'm not going". I was very surprised at this b/c all last year he was very interested in what Wyatt had done at preschool and would talk about it all the time with great curiosity and an almost-longing desire to be there with Wyatt.
Once he realized that Wyatt would not be in the same preschool next year with him, I think he was scared/nervous to go there by himself. I just talked about it w/ excitement and encouragement even though he was clearly telling me that he did not want to go. In my head, I knew that we, as the parents, were going to have him go where we decided and he would not make the decision for us. I prayed for his attitude, and I showed him love, and continued to talk excitedly about it. The night of orientation and "meet the teacher and classmates", he did not put up a fight at all, but when we had to leave his room for a parent meeting, he did cry and pull on Adam's leg asking him not to go. I had to leave first so I didn't start crying too or give in and stay with him. But we did it, we left. He stayed. 30 minutes later, after our parent meeting was over, we came to pick him up and he was smiling! Every night since then, Levi asks, "Do I get to go to preschool tomorrow?" He LOVES it! One time he even told me, "I just had to go that first meeting and then I was ok" :-) such a grown up little boy! sniff, sniff! ;-(
Wyatt and I do his Kindergarten work while Levi is at preschool on MWF. And on Tu/Thurs, Levi joins us for our K5 Bible Curriculum. That system has been working just great for us. Wyatt is already reading and writing, so most of the things that the curriculum has set forth to teach are really just review for him. Wyatt loves math and has for quite awhile. In order to teach him something new in regards to Math, I had to put him up into the 1st grade math book. He is doing just fine with that level and seems to be ready for multiplication already. He loves doing speed tests with addition and subtraction. With his competitive nature, I know he would LOVE a game of "Around the World" w/ flashcards in a class full of students!! But I do not feel like he is "missing out" by not being in public school. Both Adam and I are confident in our decision to keep them home schooled for the younger years and take it a year at a time! Below are some pictures we captured on the first day of school to have as memories as they get bigger and older!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment