Last year, when Levi was still taking an AM nap, Wyatt and I would do "school", and we started going thru a letter of the alphabet and spend a week or 2 on each letter. We would only do it 2 or 3 days a week depending on what else was going on (or if I allowed myself the luxery of an AM shower or not). Wyatt really acclimated to it and would often ask to do "school" or a craft. We made it fun, and just did alot of coloring pages that I would print off the internet. I really didn't know what I was doing. And really Wyatt was my first inspiration for even attempting homeschool preschool...one day he said, "Mommy, I want to do a craft". I was totally unprepared and had no idea where to begin doing a craft w/ a 2 yr old. I was a Business Major in college. I worked at Wal-mart thru highschool and college. I hadn't nannied, or babysat much, never worked in a daycare. I said, "Ok, what kind of craft do you want to do" (kind of wondering where he even learned the word craft!). He said, "A craft w/ squares". I did know that I had taught him what a square was :-). So I attempted a "craft w/ squares" and it looked pretty pathetic, but he loved it! From that point I realized that I needed to be a step ahead and figure out what I was going to do to challenge and teach this 2 yr old who LOVES to learn!
Thru much research and recommendations, I found the websites I mentioned above along w/ the others in my side-bar that list the websites I love. I now feel more prepared to do offical homeschool preschool this year. Wyatt is 3 1/2, and alot of families send their child off to preschool at this age. I am sooo excited to being doing it at home! My friend Jami said something that stuck w/ me. She said that one of the main reasons she homeschools is Deuteronomy 6:7--You shall teach them dilligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
Sure there are many good Christian preschools, and there is a different scenarios and financial situations for each family, but this is what we are doing and will take it a year at a time. But I'm so excited for the opportunity to teach my children about the Bible, and about letters and numbers.
This week as I was getting materials ready for our first day of preschool next week, we did a few crafts to just have fun and keep the boys busy and not watching tv! All 3 were a Story and Art from here. I just checked out the recommended book from the library (reserved it online, so I didn't have to keep 2kids quiet while looking), and then we read the story and did the art! It was so fun! I highly recommend it!
And Levi does start out doing the Story and Art w/ us, but often doesn't last the whole way thru the Art, or else he would decide to be creatively artistic in his own way which is fine :-) and you can click on the picture to make it bigger if you want.


No comments:
Post a Comment