Monday, November 8, 2010

Florida and Fleas

The topics in this post are TOTALLY unrelated, but that is what I have been up to since my last post...
We'll start w/ the bad topic and end off w/ the good! Like my husband tells our children, eat what you don't like first and very quickly get it over with!
Fleas...we have been battling fleas on Dixie for the past 2 weeks. UGH!! As if I had all this extra time just waiting to be used on washing add'l loads and loads of laundry, vacuuming couch cushions and every inch of carpet, and giving the dog a bath day after day. While I was using my "spare" time to do all those tasks my boys were enjoying alot of unsupervised time which of course led to more work for me to clean up what they got into (involving things like Vicks Vapor Rub and q-tips...you get the idea). NOT FUN. VERY FRUSTRATING and EXHAUSTING. And all along I had the one little tube of medicine that could have prevent this flea outbreak from the beginning. But b/c of my "time" issue, I kept putting off bathing and grooming the dog and putting on her flea prevention medicine. Boils down to this...I do not have time for the responsibilities that having an indoor dog require coupled w/ 2 preschool age children, household duties, and a PT job. So, we are looking for a dog-loving home for Dixie. We will be sad to see her go, but my pyschological state will be changed for the better and my children and husband will be very grateful!
FLORIDA...
Awhile back my good friend Laura and I decided to go to FL together w/ our kiddos and w/o our hubbies since they couldn't get off from work. It was going to be 2 adults, and 3 kids ages 3 and under in one car for a 9 1/2 hr drive down to FL. We knew it would be LONG, and prob. turn into a 12 hr trip b/c of stopping and the kids, but we were excited! Laura's baby girl (7 months old) got a horrible cold and ear infection and it was just not in her best interest to make that long trip in her condition. It really would have been "no fun" for her or her Mommy. It's no fun when babies are sick!
I was really disappointed b/c I had been looking forward to the trip and had our bags all packed. I didn't think it would be an option for me to drive by myself w/ our kids. But we talked about all kinds of scenarios and Adam felt like I could make the trip by myself. (if we didn't have AAA he wouldn't have even considered it)
With lots of prayers, new toys, and special snacks, I was off at 6:30am. Over halfway there, I got a flat tire somewhere in GA on 95. PRAISE THE LORD that my spare tire was full sized and in good condition, and of course, PTL for AAA. From the time I called them to the time I pulled back on the road, it was just 1 hour. The boys enjoyed the time out of their car seats jumping around in the 3rd row of the van. And I pulled into my friend's driveway at 6:30pm!! We did it!
We had a blast down in Clearwater, FL. This was by far the best trip we've had since we moved from there 3 years ago. The "older" age of the boys was really the difference...so much more fun w/ only 1 child in diapers!
The trip back to NC was uneventful, thankfully. The boys were good travellers for the most part and even took naps (albeit, much shorter than their usual) in the car. Oh, and the potty chair that I brought in the van was very helpful...that is another story about how I dealt w/ all of that! ha!
Here are some pictures:




No comments:

Post a Comment