
It's been awhile since I had a post about the fun things we are doing in preschool. Ideally, I try to do "a letter per week", but that's the wonderfulness about homeschooling, we can just adjust according to our needs! We had alot of fun w/ the letter E before we made our trip to FL, but I did not blog about it. I had gotten some elephant puppets from the Resource Center, and they were a huge hit! Levi likes to put the puppet on his hand and talk in a funny voice and pretend to the the type of puppet he's holding.

The vocab word for that week was "trunk". We had a lot of fun going around the house pretending to be elephants w/ our long trunks. Our Bible story that week was also about Noah's Ark, and they each took turns making the elephants walk up the ramp into our Little People Noah's Ark set. I LOVE Little People sets and we've had this one since Wyatt's 1st birthday...thanks Aunt Laura and Uncle Chris! Wyatt also did an activity w/ sorting Uppercase and Lowercase letter E's from Confessions of a Homeschooler

Then after we got back from FL, we spent a few days on all things Letter F....Fish and Frogs!! The boys loved these days especially. Another great find at the Resource Center--sorting fish! Wyatt has done this type of activity before with another object (turtles I think), so he exemplified some first-born child traits in instructing Levi how it was to be done. I think Levi had been mixing the colors prior to this "lesson" from Wyatt. Disorder seems to bother Wyatt just as much as it does me! Although, for school-type activities, I am trying to let things like that "go" so Levi can learn thru playing...I mean that is one of my goals w/ homeschooling. Wyatt's desire for order is very helpful when it comes to clean up time though! :-)

Wyatt has really started being interested in simple puzzles, so I tried another idea from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Wyatt had to put the fish picture back together.

In this next picture, Levi is making his fish puppet (another Resource Center find) swim on the window sill, and Wyatt is posing next to his "shape game". I forgot what these manipulatives are called specifically, but they are great to get their little fingers working! I had to help alot with this one, but it was great to talk about the different shapes and colors. We will try this one again when they are a little older.

One more fun fish activity was Fish Measuring, again from Confessions of a Homeschooler. Wyatt lined up the edible whales (the Walmart brand of Goldfish), to see which fish on the paper was longer. And we used words like small, medium, and large. This was a great activity to learn spacial words. Levi wasn't interested, so he played w/ some foam triangles (Dollar Bin at Target) and an egg carton.

One day they were just having some "together play" (no structured learning play intentionally being taught, and not playing in separate rooms--which we have a time for that intentionally every day), and I was doing some other household chores. They came to me w/ their backpacks on (a GREAT yard sale deal where I scored matching GAP backpacks for $1), and asked me to take their picture b/c they were going to go to kindergarten. I think we had watched a show where the character had gone to school, and that put the idea in their heads! They looked all grown up! I of course complied w/ the request for a picture! I love these kids :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment